How to Change the Handing on an Andersen Exterior Keyed Lock
How To Change The Handing On An Andersen Exterior Keyed Lock
Exterior keyed lock handing mechanisms are preset at the factory for 2-Panel left-hand operating doors and all 4-Panel doors. If an exterior keyed lock is being installed on a 2-Panel right-hand operating door, the handing on the exterior keyed lock must be changed to operate correctly. Fortunately, it is coded with an “L” to indicate when it is in the left-hand setting and an “R” when it is in the right-hand setting.
To change handing of Andersen Exterior Keyed Lock you must make sure you have a Andersen Exterior Gear and Keyed Lock Replacement Kit.
Replacement Kit: 2570707
- 1) Check the backside of the exterior keyed lock for an “L” in the small opening. If you cannot see an ”L” in the opening, insert the key and rotate up to five times until “L” appears and the key can be removed. “L” must appear in the opening before proceeding.
- 2) Remove the key.
- 3) Remove the backplate from the exterior keyed lock using a Phillips screwdriver.
- 4) Lift the tailpiece receiver and replace the large gear with the new one from your replacement kit.The large Silver gear is for right-handed doors, The Large Gold gear is for left-handed doors. There is a timing mark on the gear. The arrow points to the 12 o’clock position, and the R or L is at the 6 o’clock position. When assembled you should be able to see the L or R below the tailpiece. (notch in cover plate).
- 5) Reattach the backplate.
- 6) Verify that the letter “R” appears in the small opening on the backplate.
Note: Diagram is from manufacturer’s website (http://www.andersenwindows.com).
**Note: Replacement Kit does not include back cover plate, key cylinder, or lock housing.